BFC has completed a feasibility study to inform its client on whether, how and with whom to partner for a planned commercial downscaling project targeting farmers and MSEs in rural Azerbaijan.
BFC worked with a local market research company to determine the potential demand for microfinance in rural areas:
- Developing distinct questionnaires for farmers and non-farming MSEs;
- Training market survey teams;
- Developing a sampling methodology based on size of business, location and sector;
- Overseeing the interviewing of 300 respondents in five regions.
In addition, BFC has:
- Provided a detailed analysis of current microfinance supply in rural Azerbaijan;
- Created detailed maps of microfinance service coverage throughout the country;
- Pinpointed possible improvements in current lending operations;
- Identified promising products and services for selected target groups;
- Researched the legal framework affecting MSEs and credit providers;
- Evaluated the suitability of potential partner institutions for inclusion in the programme.