BFC provided recommendations to the German development bank KfW for the design and implementation of a microfinance program in China which will facilitate the growth of a commercially viable microfinance industry.
As part of this assignment, BFC:
- Conducted a demand survey of 600 micro and small enterprises in both urban and rural areas;
- Wrote the book, “Principles for Commercially Viable Microfinance in China”;
- Conducted a financial and institutional due diligence of two MFIs;
- Developed two business plans for commercially viable MFIs in China, one based on upgrading an existing MFI and one for establishing a greenfield MFI;
- Proposed an on-lending mechanism and governance structure for the program;
- Developed terms of reference for consultants.